Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Concrete Jungle: Day 2

Today I learned many things and also got back to the hotel around midnight, so today's stories may be limited to a few sentences.

It's currently 1:50 a.m. and as I reflect on today, all I can think about is how cool certain things I saw were. As Maria Von Trapp said, here area few of my favorite things:

1. My dad and I went to the almost finished 9/11 Memorial this morning to discover some really cool memorial things like this:


The rose means that today would have been Jon's birthday.



We also found a really good vantage point for taking pictures of the Freedom Tower.

2. The Jewish Heritage Museum knows what it's doing. The way this place is set up is that it has three floors, each of which is dedicated to the foundation, past, and present of Jewish culture. Obviously the big draw for this museum would be its Holocaust exhibit, which was extremely interesting, but I like how it was set up. It began by teaching the visitors about basic beliefs and traditions of the Jewish religion and then went into the Holocaust. It ended by showing just how much stronger the Jewish people are even after the tragedy that occurred during World War II. I would definitely recommend going here the next time you venture to New York. Be warned: you will spend a really long time here. 


I happen to be really fascinated by the Nazis, especially Nazi propaganda and Adolf Hitler.

3. Ellen's Stardust Diner is way more fun than I thought it would be. I mean, I thought it would be cool, but it's definitely one of the most fun restaurant I've ever been to. They sing, they dance, they serve comfort food... what more could you ask for in a restaurant?



4. Les Miserables was very worth going to see. I've seen it many times and have gotten tired of it, but I wanted to do something my dad really want to do, so I initially decided to go because of him. Well, I found out that Will Swenson was playing Javert in this second revival and I knew that I needed to go. THEN I found out that an SUU alumni was playing Madame Thenardier and it further confirmed my need to go see the show. AND THEN I found out that Tony Award winner Nikki M. James was playing Eponine and I really knew I needed to go see the show. Needless to say, it was a good show.


My dad was way more excited about the show than he looks in this photo...


He always suggests that we take selfies. 


Mr. Will Swenson, everyone. This was what I had been looking forward to for the entire day, just ask my dad. I am so extremely proud of everything this man has accomplished. Love, love, love him.


The one and only, the fabulous Miss Keala Settle. She was seriously wonderful and I am so glad I met her!

Unfortunately Nikki M. James walked away before I could get a picture with her, but just know that she was beautiful and magical onstage. 

Needless to say, today was pretty awesome. Shout out to my dad for being a good cameraman. Hopefully tomorrow will have some even more exciting things for me to post about! I mean, it's going to be pretty difficult to top meeting Will Swenson, but I'll see what I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment