Sunday, July 7, 2013

Living La Vida London: Day 23 (The Final Day)

I missed my bus to Stonehenge and Bath but not because I was late. I missed it because I waited for it in the wrong place and couldn't catch up with it when I saw it drive away. I was really looking forward to being out of the city for the day, but I had to go back to my room and figure something else out. I was able to check in for my flight in good time and then decided to try and feel better about my situation by going to Nando's again and then heading to a play called Casualties that is running in a theatre far from where I'm used to hobnobbing around. When I saw far, I mean that it's in a more affordable part of London. You know, where a lot of the shady characters live. Luckily I went there for the matinee, so it was bright and sunny outside. More sun, less crime. After all that, I just went back to my room.

It doesn't sound like I did a lot today, but not getting to do something that you were really looking forward to  and then getting lost in a part of town you're unfamiliar with, AND THEN getting stuck on a Tube two separate times with no way to open a window sort of takes it out of you. I suppose that makes this an emotionally exhausting day. I'm ready to go home now.

I realised that I take any pictures today, but then I remembered that I have a few on my phone.

This photo was taken on my first Monday here in London. I really love it for many reasons, but mostly because that was the first night that I discovered that I have the ability to be so much more than I give myself credit for.


I am in no way Bill Shakespeare's biggest fan, but he represents so many good things for me: the best times I had at Snow College included him and SUU is all about the Bard, so naturally it makes me think of SUU.


This is the inside of the Hogwarts Bridge and this photo reminds me of the day I realised that I really do have the ability to make friends, even if the very thought of doing so makes me extremely nervous.


Paris was one of the best trips I have ever taken, and it has inspired me to go to countries that I'm not familiar with despite what people might say about them. 


The escalators in some of the Tube stations... blessings is what they are. Stairs are so overrated. 


Exhaustion at it's best looking. On the Tube just trying to stay awake and alert.


Did you know that dogs are allowed pretty much anywhere here? That adorable chocolate Lab was waiting to catch the Tube with his master.


London really has been a great experience for me in more ways than one. I learned so much about British fantasy literature and also about what I can do on my own. To put this into perspective: I went 4, 724 miles across an ocean to a foreign country without knowing anybody and was expected to learn and hopefully create a social life for myself while being in one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world. It was a lot and I am very proud that I was able to both make friends and learn, but especially make friends.

I'm nodding off as I type, so I should sleep. I have a flight in the morning back to my beautiful home country. I will definitely check in as some point before I head off to San Diego Comic Con with my family.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment