Saturday, June 5, 2010

Hey! Do You Wanna Be My Friend and Follow Me?:)

I have been wondering lately where I stand with my old friends... stupid right? Absolutely. But contemplating that is like contemplating what happens after the tide has turned. What is going to happen to all the sea creatures once the sand has been turned up? Where will they end up if their home is destroyed? How many gallons of water does it take to fill that stupid little crab hole? Who knows.
I know a lot of people. I recently saw something that said "In the 1980's the average American had 20 friends. Now the average American has 200 friends." Astonishing, right? Well not so much. Once you factor in the social networking sites, you will find that is a pretty accurate count. I, myself have well over that many on facebook, but the thing is that the word "friend" has been totally redefined in the last few years. Now instead of meaning "a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard," it can now be defined as, "a person that I've seen before and might have spoken to once." Basically, just because we're "friends" on facebook or you're following me on twitter, does not mean that I am actually friends with you in real life.
What is comical to me is when a person deletes you on facebook. Congradulations, you just deleted me from your online life. Good job. Don't lose your arm patting yourself on the back for that one. Do they really think that just because I'm not on their friends list translates into me not existing in real life? Apparently it does.
The most humrous occurence to brood over is when somebody stops "following" you on Twitter. Number one: that is a really awkward to say "keeping track of someon's status updates." Number two: I'm glad you're not following me anymore! That's just creepy...
The long and the short of it is that I find people's sick obsession with their online lives quite funny. All these sychophants are really doing is forming a self-distructive habit of fusing (or confusing, if I may) their online lives with their physical lives.
Like I said before, our being "friends" on facebook or your following me on my Twitter, is no reflection of our relationship in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment